Internships are open to undergraduate students who can recognize and appreciate that biology research is more and more dependent on bioinformatics. With this interest, no previous experience is required. You need only to be highly motivated, eager to learn, pro-active, and committed, simple as that.
MSc/PhD students are welcome who display the following requirements:
- Highly motivated and with a strong interest in building relationships and collaborations;
- Want to learn bioinformatics and to develop your own programs;
- Interest in systems biology and how this can be applied to understand how the human immune system works (read more);
- Interest in investigating novel mechanisms of gene regulation (read more);
- Excellent attention to details and organizational skills;
- Ability to work in a fast-moving interdisciplinary field and team environment;
- Capable of confidently discussing issues and helping to develop and provide solutions to scientists with different backgrounds;
- Most importantly: Prepared to have fun, travel, and work hard.
The successful candidate will lead Systems Biology projects focused on infectious disease/ vaccination or noncoding RNA research. He/she will develop cutting-edge approaches and play a lead role on the analysis and integration of genomic data.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- PhD in relevant genomics and bioinformatics-related fields and/or experience in computer science, statistics, or bioinformatics, as demonstrated by a publication record;
- Experience with genomic tools (e.g., microarrays, high-throughput sequencing or genotyping);
- Strong familiarity with Linux/Unix environment;
- Fluency in at least one programming language (R, Python, Perl, Matlab);
- Strong knowledge of bioinformatics applications and biological databases;
- Adequate knowledge of immunology and molecular biology, and intention to deepen and improve his/her understanding of these fields;
- Demonstration of excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Please send your resume/CV to: hnakaya at usp.br
A cover-letter outlining your motivation and your skill set and experience is a plus.
Questions? Use the form below: