Crazy about science, soccer, teaching, traveling and, of course, gorgonzola.
Helder Nakaya is an assistant professor at the University of Sao Paulo, Brazil, in the Department of Clinical Analyses and Toxicology, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences. He has a PhD in Molecular Biology with extensive training in Bioinformatics. He is an expert in Systems Vaccinology, an interdisciplinary field that combines systems-wide measurements, networks, and predictive modeling in the context of vaccines and infectious disease. Dr. Nakaya has developed systems biology approaches to understand and predict the mechanisms of vaccine induced-immunity for Yellow Fever, seasonal Influenza, Meningococcal, and Tularemia vaccines. His lab is focused on investigating the basis of infectious diseases using computational systems biology.
Additionally, Dr. Nakaya is an adjunct professor at Emory University School of Medicine in the Department of Pathology.
- Metabolic Phenotypes of Response to Vaccination in Humans. CELL. 2017.
- Systems analysis of protective immune responses to RTS,S malaria vaccination in humans. PNAS. 2017.
- Defining antigen-specific plasmablast and memory B cell subsets in human blood after viral infection or vaccination. Nature Immunology. 2016 Jan.
- Defining CD8+ T cells that provide the proliferative burst after PD-1 therapy. Nature. 2016
- Systems biology of immunity to MF59-adjuvanted versus nonadjuvanted trivalent seasonal influenza vaccines in early childhood. PNAS. 2016 Jan.
- Systems Analysis of Immunity to Influenza Vaccination across Multiple Years and in Diverse Populations Reveals Shared Molecular Signatures. Immunity. 2015 Dec 15;43(6):1186-98.
- TLR5-mediated sensing of gut microbiota is necessary for antibody responses to seasonal influenza vaccination. Immunity. 2014 Sep 18;41(3):478-92.
- Molecular signatures of antibody responses derived from a systems biology study of five human vaccines. Nature Immunology. 2014 Feb;15(2):195-204.
- Vaccine activation of the nutrient sensor GCN2 in dendritic cells enhances antigen presentation. Science. 2014 Jan 17;343(6168):313-7.
- Systems biology of vaccination for seasonal influenza in humans. Nature Immunology. 2011 Jul 10;12(8):786-95.
- Programming the magnitude and persistence of antibody responses with innate immunity. Nature. 2011 Feb 24;470(7335):543-7.
- Systems vaccinology. Immunity. 2010 Oct 29;33(4):516-29.
- Activation of beta-catenin in dendritic cells regulates immunity versus tolerance in the intestine. Science. 2010 Aug 13;329 5993):849-53.
- The T helper type 2 response to cysteine proteases requires dendritic cell-basophil cooperation via ROS-mediated signaling. Nature Immunology. 2010 Jul;11(7):608-17.
- Systems biology approach predicts immunogenicity of the yellow fever vaccine in humans. Nature Immunology. 2009 Jan;10(1):116-25.
- Genome mapping and expression analyses of human intronic noncoding RNAs reveal tissue-specific patterns and enrichment in genes related to regulation of transcription. Genome Biology. 2007;8(3):R43.